Fitness Level 3
Arts & Crafts
Walk in the untouched pristine environment of the Beara peninsula West Cork or on the rugged Dursey Island, which is accessed by Irelands only cable car. Travel to the end of the Beara Peninsula to meet your local walking guide. The tour options are:
1 Dursey Island Walk – take Ireland’s only Cable Car for a half-day walking trip on thewild landscape and seascape of this uninhabited island, which is 6.5km long. The guide will tell you of the history and folklore of the island, stories of Vikings, monks, pirates and the people who still farm the land. Walks are on Tuesday or Thursday at 10.30am or by arrangement.
2 Beara and the Industrial Revolution – In Allihies at the head of the Beara peninsula take a guided tour of Europe’s most westerly copper mines. The precious copper ore was mined here on an industrial scale in the 19th century. This half day tour takes place in the morning and can be combined with the Dursey Island walk in the afternoon. Visit the Copper Mine Museum in Allihies village which has artefacts of the copper mines and has a lovely cafe for lunch. Days and times by arrangement.
3 The Artists of the Beara – Allihies on the Beara Peninsula is a haven for artists thanks to its beauty and remoteness. Take a guided trip around the village with a local guide to meet a group of 5 artists to see their work and the area that inspires them. With no pressure to buy visit workshops which most visitors rarely see. Wednesday 2 pm (min 2 people) or by arrangement.
4 The day with a Beara Guide – Spend the day with a local Beara Peninsula Guide who can tailor the tour to meet your needs – send an enquiry form.
Dursey Island Walk. €40. – min 3 people – send enquiry form.
Beara And the Industrial revolution Walk €40- min 2 people.
Artists of the Beara. €40 – min 2 people.
Minimum 2 people – maximum 20 people.
Local Walking Guide. Option to take minibus one way on Island in summer.
Walking boots, layers of clothing and rainwear. Backpack for snacks and drinks. Make sure a camera or phone have a waterproof cover.
Things to do in the area
The Beara Penisula is a stunning unspoilt area of Ireland only suited to car travel, with its winding lanes and wild scenery. Visit the Mines Museum and cafe in Allihies to explore the history of mining in the area. The guide can tailor a tour of the area with a spiritual walk, a visit to artists or a tour of the old Copper Mines of the headland. Visit the Dzogchen Buddhist Retreat Centre perched overlooking the sea. Take a Sea Safari from Castletowbere (L) or visit Garinish Island (L). For adults a night kayak trip at Glengarriff is a magical experience.
Good To Know
- Walks on Dursey Island are suited to people with a fitness level of 3+ and proper walking shoes.
- Dursey Island has no shop so bring a picnic and drinks in a backpack.
- The Dursey Cable Car will only take 6 people over to the island at a time, so it will take a while for a larger group to make the trip across.
- The island is uninhabited apart from animals during the summer, with a stunning view of the sea.
- The artists of the Beara can be visited in their studio with the guide and this needs to be booked 3-5 weeks in advance of the trip.
- The guide can be hired for a full day to see more of the peninsula using your own transport.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.