12 + Years Old
You have 3 options in Sligo, one of Ireland’s premier surfing sites:
Surfing Lesson as part of a group – surfing lessons take place all day at the Surf Centre. You are allocated to join a specific time for a group lesson – better suited to families.
Private Surfing Lesson you can have one to one tuition for the 2 hours of the lesson (can take up to 3 in a group)
Experienced Surfer – You will have the use of equipment for 2 hours to surf in the big waves off the West Coast of Ireland. If you want a surf activity at times other than specified please fill out an enquiry form.
Bodyboard lesson for adults and teenagers.
Corporate groups schools and clubs catered for – send an enquiry form.
10am and 4pm or send enquiry form for other possibilities.
Meet at the Surf Centre on seafront in Strandhill.
Surfboard, wetsuits, boots, expert instructors.
Swimwear and towel. Bring a sweatshirt and some drinks
Things to do in the area
Swim in the Atlantic ocean waves, eat in Strandhill’s delicious bakers, Shell’s Sea Cafe.
Visit Yeats’s Grave in Drumcliff, Kayak in the sea or drive around Lough Gill to see Yeats’s Isle of Inishfree, Cycle around Sligo, Visit Lissadel House, Climb Ben Bulben, Climb Knocknarea to see Queen Meabh’s Grave, Shell’s Sea Cafe in Strandhill
Good To Know
- Big Atlantic waves breaking on a sandy beach with rocks on this long beach in Sligo offers fun for both beginners and experienced surfers with a swell of 1m to 2m+. Lessons are only offered when conditions are safe.
- Teenagers be under 16. We do not recommend surfing for people under 10 years of age.
- The National Centre of Excellence for surfing is due to open in Strandhill in the summer of 2020.
- Changing room is available at the centre and there is parking on the seafront.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes before your booked time to suit up before the 2 hour experience.
- Surfing takes place all year in Sligo, but the best time for beginners is from April to October
- Tides change daily in Ireland along the Atlantic Coast and surfing is best on the rising tide. We will advise you on any slight change of time due to the tides.
- Don’t eat within an hour of starting surfing – alway be safe in the water.
- Fitness level 3 as the surfing is demanding and must be able to swim to go surfing.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.