Max 50 People
Fitness Level 2
Spike Island, Cork Harbour, Ireland
Spike Island in Cork Harbour near the town of Cobh is home to Fort Mitchell and was winner of European Leading Tourist Attraction title at the 2017 World Travel Awards. The island has been used as a monastery, a fortress to protect the harbour, a convict holding prison and an army and naval base. The boat takes you from Kennedy Pier in Cobh across to the island for a guided tour of the Island and Fortress. See the history written in the stones of the fort.
Guided Tour Spike Island and Boat Trip to Island – Take a boat to the island and a Guided Trip around Fort Mitchell. Hear the stories of the island’s history, the children’s prison, the gun used to protect the harbour and much more. The visit takes 2-3 hours including the boat journey, with pre-booked tickets for a specific time. There is a cafe on the island but why not bring a picnic and sit in the middle of the fort to enjoy the views.
May to September – Open 7 days a week – Tickets get booked out 2 weeks in advance for weekends.
October to May – Weekends and Bank Holidays only.
Adults €23. Time of trip Time (10am – 4pm, every 30 mins)
Family (2+2) €55
Teenager € 15
Group 16+ people €20
Boat trip to Island, Guided Tour of Island.
Walking shoes, rainwear.
Things to do in the area
Take a Guided Boat trip on Cork Harbour for 1 hour from Cobh (L). Visit theTake a Guided Boat trip on Cork Harbour for 1 hour from Cobh (L). Visit the Heritage Centre. The Titanic Centre is beside Kennedy Quay from where the boat departs. Fota House and Gardens Tour (L), or Fota Wildlife Park. Food Walking Tour Cork City (L).
Heritage Centre. The Titanic Centre is beside Kennedy Quay from where the boat departs. Fota House and Gardens Tour (L), or Fota Wildlife Park. Food Walking Tour Cork City (L).
Good To Know
- Boats leave from Kennedy Pier in Cobh every 30 mins and you will be booked at a specific time. Indicate time you wish to visit the island and we will try to secure a place on boat close to that time.
- Tickets must be booked at least 3 days before departure, but we recommend booking 2 weeks in advance for weekends which can be very busy.
- There is a carpark beside Cobh Cathedral which gives a great view of the island and is a 10 minute walk down to Kennedy Pier.
- Arrive 15 minutes before your booked departure time and present your ticket to the office. Pre-booked customers are given priority on the boat.
- During the busy season there can be a long queue at the boat departure area.
- The visit involves a lot of walking with some of it uphill and difficult for buggies or wheelchairs to negotiate – please advise in advance.
- Tickets are non-refundable.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded to paying card, up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.