Fitness Level 3 – 4
3 – 5 Hours
The Sheep’s Head Way is on an unspoilt peninsula in West Cork. There are up to 90 Km of walking trails on the Sheep’s Head Peninsula which juts out into the Atlantic between Bantry Bay on one side and Dunmanus Bay on the other. The price of the walk depends on the number taking the walk, which has a maximum of 10 people.
Sheep’s Head Half Day Guided Walk – This walk is available on Saturday or Sunday mornings with a local guide to meet you at the starting point for a 3 hour walk (Fitness Level 3).
Magic of Sheep’s Head – This full day guided walk is for those used to hill walking (Fitness Level 4) and takes in the Poet’s Way Trail. The route follows way-marked routes with stunning views and is suited to fit, experienced walkers.
Hungry Hill -This day walk on Hungry Hill on the Beara Peninsula requires fitness Level 4 and can be arranged for a group, during the summer months, lasting 4-6 hours.
Cycling on Sheeps Head – This is a self-guided trip from Bantry with a map for you to cycle along one side of Sheep’s Head and return the other route for spectacular views of the area. Collect your bike in Bantry for a days bike hire from 9am to 5.30pm. We can reccomend the best places to stop along the route Fitness level 3 and an easy cycle with most on the flat.
Cycling on Beara Peninsula – The Beara Peninsula is a great place to cycle and enjoy the scenery. Get a bike delivered to your accommodation for a day or few days. Cycle the headland from Glengarriff or Allihies and back over a few days, or take a bike and cycle the length of Beare Island using the ferry to get to the island. This is self-guided, but we love to recommend places to stop along the way.
Saturday or Sunday for Half Day Walk, Full Day Walk by arrangement.
Sheep’s Head 1/2 Day – Enquiry form
Sheep’s Head Day – Enquiry Form
Hungry Hill Day – Enquiry Form
Bike Hire – Enquiry form for Each
Expert Local Guide
Walking boots, long trousers, layers of clothing and rainwear. Carry water and snacks as well as a camera in a backpack. Walking poles are useful.
Things to do in the area
West Cork is a stunning unspoilt area with winding lanes, magnificent views, great cafes and restaurants and relaxing pubs. Take a drive to Mizen Head, Ireland’s most southerly point, and visit its lighthouse. Take a night kayak trip to see the unique lake phosphorescence (L). Visit an island – Cape Clear and Fastnet Lighthouse (L), Bantry House and Whiddy Island on Fridays (L). Take a Sea Safari to see whales and dolphins (L) or visit a tropical garden on an island (L).
Good To Know
- Depending on the walk you choose you will be given a GPS meeting point.
- The guides insist on walking boots, socks and long trousers to protect against ticks in the grass which can cause Lyme’s disease.
- This activity is not suited to children under 14 years of age.
- The price for the activity depends on the number in the walking group .
- Why not combine this walking day with a climb of Ireland’s highest mountains in Kerry in the following days.
- A booking fee of €5 per person is included in the cost and is non- refundable in case of cancellation. Please check the Fitness and at the cancellation policy before booking. Make sure each member of the party is fit enough for the walk chosen.
- We can organise accommodation in a Bed and Breakfast, a Hotel or Self- Catering house for a group, a restaurant meal and transport if required.
- Bike tours are self-guided with a map of the area with recommended cycling routes in Sheep’s Head or Beara PEninsula. Bikes can be delivered to your accommodation if you want to hire for a few days. No children bikes available for hire in this area- all adult bikes with helmet and locks.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.