High Demand Tour
Fitness Level 3
14 + Years Old
This is one of those secret magical trips from a holiday in West Cork where this natural phenomenon of Phosphorescence occurs each year. It is hard to photograph as the water sparkles after sunset as you dip your paddle into the water. Feel part of the nature around you with the sounds and smells of the unspoilt area. We strongly recommend staying in the Beara area after the trip and are happy to recommend some places.
Glengarriff €65 per person
(needs a minimum of 2 people booked).
2-8 people. Early booking advisable, up to 6 weeks in advance for weekends in summer
Single or Double kayaks, paddles, lifejackets, splash coat, helmet and expert local instructor.
Wear layers of clothing, with a sweatshirt, long trousers, a hat and old runners. Bring a drink and ensure your camera or camera or phone are in a waterproof case for magical photos
Things to do in the area
Take a guided walk on Dursey Island or Bere Island. Hire a bike and take a self guided cycle on the Sheeps Head or Beara Peninsulas. Take a chocolate making course in the afternoon nearby. Visit Garinish Island and its tropical gardens.
Drive the Beara Peninsula to Allihies and visit The Mines Museum. Take a guided walk of the mines at Allihies or spend the afternoon visiting artists of the Beara. Visit the magical hidden valley of Gleninchaquin to walk some of its trails.
Good To Know
- This is a magical night time activity on the sea or lough and not suited to children. We ask that teenagers are 12+ and to have one adult per teenager.
- This guided activity needs a fitness level 3 as it is 2+ hours on Bantry Bay, West Cork and finishes about 10pm
- There is plenty of parking at the meeting point.
- Wear old runners which may get wet as you enter the water.
- The kayak trip can end quite late so we strongly advise staying close by in West Cork that night. We can advise on places to stay.
- Have a good meal early in the evening making sure you have finished at least an hour before departure.
- Arrive 15 minutes early for the safety instructions so you can make the most of the trip.
- If you have medication (inhaler etc) please give to the guide at the start of the trip, and collect before you leave. This activity is not suited to pregnant women, people with a heart or back condition or to anyone with an arm or leg in plaster!
- Have a towel and change of clothes in the car in case you get wet or cold. We don’t recommend wearing wetsuits as they can cause skin to chaff.
- If the centre you asked for is full we reserve the right to move to another centre in West Cork. If this does not suit you we will provide a refund.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.