Fitness Level 2
This is the closest surfing area to Cork city and you can be on the water 40 minutes after you arrive at Cork Airport. The venue is at Garretstown Beach near Kinsale and the Old Head of Kinsale. The gentle waves are a great way to start learning to surf with the expert guide at your side in small class groups over 1.5 hours of a lesson.
Surfing Lesson – Take a 1.5 hours surfing lesson and can be a private lesson for 1 or 2 people or a group lesson for 5-8 people. This is a personal experience with an expert instructor who knows the waves. Arrive early to put on the wetsuit and get safety instructions. As surfing takes place on a low or incoming tide the time varies so we have made a time suggestion and will confirm the time on booking.
Surfing Equipment Rental – This is an option for people who can already surf and wish to hire a wetsuit and board for 2 hours. Please advise of surfing experience in the booking form. This is tide dependent and we will advise of the best time for surfing.
Adult Group Lesson €45
Adult Private Lesson €60
Surfing Equipment Rental €30
5+ Please use enquiry form
Expert Instructor ,Surfboard and wetsuits
Swimwear, towel, warm sweatshirt in case get cold. Bring old shoes or sandals as cross some rocks to beach.
Things to do in the area
Visit Old Head of Kinsale Signal Tower and Lusitanica Museum and Memorial Garden nearby. Take an Eco Boat trip around the Old Head of Kinsale (L) or cycle the area on a half day guided cycling tour (L). The picturesque gourmet town of Kinsale is nearby for a great choice of local foods. Take a walking food tour in Cork city which includes the English Market (L).
Good To Know
- There is a large carpark at the beach and the guide will meet you there.
- This activity is dependent on the tide level so we will send you a specific
time for the lesson. Please arrive 15-20 minutes before the lesson for a
safety briefing and fitting of a wetsuit.
- The surfing is best at low tide with gentle waves. There is a rip tide at the
west end of the beach and you will have to walk over rocks and stones to
get to the water.
- There is a public toilet beside the beach.
- Bring a snack to eat after the lesson or we can recommend a nearby
- This activity will fit in with other pursuits in the Kinsale area, making the
most of your time here.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.