Fitness Level 2 – 3
2 – 4 Hours
Killarney National Park has some of Ireland’s finest scenery and is also rich in animal and plant life. A guided walk is a great way to get to know the area and to appreciate all it has to offer. Hear the folklore of the area and how life revolves around the rich natural heritage of the National Park. Each walk starts at 11am and will take you to beautifully restored Ross Castle, once home to the O’Donoghues, on the banks of Lough Leane, the biggest of the Lakes of Killarney.
Lake Walk Killarney – For those who enjoy a gentle stroll in beautiful surroundings take a relaxing 2 hour walk with a local guide though Killarney National Park. Enjoy magnificent views, discover the history of the park and find out about the flora and fauna of the area. Finish with your guide at Ross Castle which you may like to visit by yourself. Jaunting cars available
Trip to Innisfallen – Meet the guide for a walk to the National Park and hear stories of history, nature and the culture of the area. Learn a ‘cupla focal’ (a few words of Irish) from your guide. See the 15th century copper mines and lakeside Ross Castle. Take a boat with your guide across Lough Leane to Innisfallen Island, home to wild deer and the ruins of an ancient monastery. Bring a picnic and enjoy the beauty of Killarney on this tranquil island. 4 hours.
Walk along the Lakes of Killarney to Torc Waterfall – Start in Killarney at 11am and take a guided walk along the eastern side of Lough Leane. Enjoy some of the best spots for photography and discover the history, culture and wildlife of the area. See Ross Castle, Muckross House and finish at beautiful Torc Waterfall. You will see oak and yew woods, Arbutus Strawberry Trees, Kerry cows, red deer and sika deer and maybe even some sea eagles. Take a horse drawn Jaunting Car or bus back to Killarney. 4 hours
Lake Walk Killarney €20
Walk and Innisfallen Island €35
Walk to Torc Waterfall – enquiry form
From 2 to 20 people.
Local Expert Walking Guide
Walking Shoes, rainwear, drink and picnic if going to island or Torc Waterfall.
Things to do in the area
Get out on the lake with the guide to Inisfallen Island or take the boat to the meeting of the waters and walk or cycle back through the unspoilt Black Valley (L) . Go Horseriding by the lake for 1 to 3 hours depending on your experience level (L). Drive the Ring of Kerry and call to Kells Bay Garden. Take a ferry to Valentia Island from Caherciveen and visit the signal station, the high cliffs and the Skellig Heritage Centre. Take a boat tour around Skellig Rock to see where Star Wars The Force Rises was filmed (L) and drive the Skellig Ring.
Good To Know
- These are easy walks and suited to most people.
- Arrive 15 minutes before departure time. These tours are for small numbers of people and sell out well in advance of the day.
- The booking fee per person is €5 and non refundable in case of cancellation.
- Learn a few words of Irish from your native speaking guide.
- If going to Innisfallen Island bring a picnic.
- Depart from centre of Killarney.
- The guide will tell of the lake, its history and the animals who live there.
- Walk back to your hotel or take a Jaunting cart, which can be pre-booked.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.