Fitness Level 2
Day Time Tour
Time 1 hr
Glasnevin Cemetery and Museum is about 3km from Dublin city Centre with many monuments to Ireland’s prominent national citizens and historical figures buried here over the past 200 years. There is a shop and cafe on site.
Guided Tour & Museum – Tour Ireland’s largest cemetery, last resting place to many famous Irish people among the 1.5 million buried here. Visit the graves and hear the stories of key figures such as Daniel O’Connell , Charles Stewart Parnell, Éamon de Valera, Maud Gonne and Michael Collins. In recent decades authors Christy Brown (My Left Foot), Brendan Behan and singer Luke Kelly of the Dubliners have been buried in this national necropolis which opened in 1832.
Glasnevin Tour and Tower Combined – Take the guided tour to hear the history and lives of those buried here along with entrance to the iconic O’Connell Tower, Irelands tallest Round Tower and modelled on the ancient monastic structures. The tower is built over the crypt of Daniel O’Connell, known as the Liberator. The spectacular view from the top offers great views over Dublin as far as the Wicklow mountains and the Irish Sea.
Genealogy – You may also wish to meet the resident Genealogist who can search the records for your family information.
11am, 2pm, 3.30pm Apr to Sept. Winter 1.30 daily – Time 1-2 hours depending on time of year.
Guided Tour & Museum €18
Glasnevin Tour and Tower Combo €24
Meet a Genealogist – make an enquiry
Any size catered for.
Expert Storytelling Guides who will show you around the cemetery with a commentary on the lives and history of many of the famous people interred.
Flat walking shoes, rainwear.
Things to do in the area
The National Botanic Gardens are close to Glasnevin Cemetery and the city Hop-on/ Hop-off bus stops here.
Good To Know
- The Guided Tour is open to all but the Tower Tour is only open to those aged 12 years and over. All 12-16 year olds must be accompanied by an adult (3 teenagers to 1 adult max ratio).
- Arrive 15 minutes before your tour start time.
- For the tower tour all bags and rucksacks must be left in lockers in the reception area. A fitness level 3 is required. The tower is open from 10am to 5pm daily and entry is every 30 minutes, so your entry time may vary slightly from the time slot you booked.
- If your forebears came from Dublin at any time since 1830’s they may be buried in this cemetery. The Genealogist can research the information and meet you with details of a family grave on arrival.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.