Fitness Level 2
Cork City Food History Tour takes you on a walking tour of the city centre with food tastings along the way. Taste Cork as you visit the Butter Museum Crawford Art Gallery. Meet the Makers, Producers and food sellers of the English Maket where you stops for food tasting and chat.
This is a walking tour of Cork city with commentary on the food and drinks history of the city going back to Viking days. See where the merchants lived and traded in times past as the city developed from the confines of its medieval walls. The English Market is central to the food history of the city and we meet some of its key traders. Also enjoy selected food tastings finishing the tour at the English Market. Group tours organised on request.
Tuesday and Thursday 10am and 2pm
Departure & Return
Meet in the lobby of Crawford Art Gallery, Tour ends at the English Market
€45 per person
Group of 8+ €36 per person
For 12+ please inquire below
Walking Guide with detailed knowledge of Cork’s Food History, tasting of food at selected stops, a bottle of water
Good flat walking shoes and rainwear.
Good To Know
- This tour starts in the lobby of the Crawford Art Gallery and ends in English Market.
- This tour is limited to 12 people maximum and needs to be booked weeks
- For groups contact us with details of the tour group, but as the the English Market is a living market we limit the number of people in a group and respect the regular shoppers in the Market. We do not recommend Friday afternoon or Saturday mornings for tours, as this is the busiest time in the English Market.
- There are great photos to be taken on this tour, but please be aware that if you take photographs of other people, ask permission.
- We cannot provide for special dietary needs, but will give advise on food content and are aware of the restrictions. You choose what you eat.
- Fitness Level 2 for this tour due to steps to be climbed.
- Please advise if you have a person with limited walking or a wheelchair as we can modify the tour to meet the group requirements
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to the paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.
About the Guide
Maire was raised in the picturesque West Cork Gaeltacht, starting to learn English at 7 years of age. She has a detailed knowledge of Munster, and her home county of Cork in particular. She now divides her time between the village of Blarney and the beautiful Mizen Peninsula.
She has a Degree in Home Economics with Irish from UCG. She spent 25 years teaching at second level, mainly in Doneraile near the Ballyhoura Mountains in North County Cork.
She also served as Catering Officer on the Irish Sail Training Vessel Asgard Two for four years and later worked with the Irish Tourism Training Body. All these jobs helped foster her love of food and cookery.
She has operated a Self Catering property in West Cork for ten years and saw the need for a mechanism for visitors to book their activities in advance.
She loves the outdoors and water based activities in particular and finds the glorious scenery of West Cork to be the perfect setting for getting closer to nature.
All these aspects came together to inspire her to set up Activity Days to facilitate visitors to Ireland.