10 + Years Old
- The three Aran Island off the Co Galway coast are accessed by ferry or air. Boats leave from Doolin, Co Clare and Rossaveal in Co Galway. You can travel from one island to another by boat and you can walk, hire a bike or on Inis Mor take a pony and trap to see the sights. The islands have the same Karst limestone landscape as the Burren area in Co Clare where unusual plants grow in crevices in the rocks. They are famous for their small fields separated from each other by stone walls. Each island is criss crossed by a network of narrow lanes, ideal for quiet walks which enable you to get back to nature. Step back in time and you can get a glimpse into a way of life which has not changed much in centuries.
- Cliffs of Moher Boat Trip. Take a 1 hour boat trip from Doolin pier in Co Clare and view the Cliffs of Moher from the sea along the Wild Atlantic Way. The comfortable boat takes you under the majestic Cliffs rising sheer out of the Atlantic Ocean. See the Harry Potter Sea Cave, a rocky sea stack called an Bradán Mór, one of Ireland’s largest seabird colonies nesting in the cliffs and you might also spot dolphins This complements the visit to the Cliffs of Moher to enjoy the views from above. This trip can be combined with the Inis Oirr Island trip at the time of booking.
- Trip to Inis Oirr– Take a half day boat trip to Inis Thiar (the Eastern Isle), the smallest island and the closest to the mainland. Inis Oirr features stunning beaches, a 16th century O’Brien castle and a shipwreck which was used in the TV comedy Father Ted. The boat departs at 10am or 1.45pm and you can take a half day or full day trip. Bicycle are available for hire on the island
- Daytrip to Inis Mor or Inis Mean – This full day trip by fast ferry boat to Inis Mór and Inis Méan (big and middle Island) operates from Doolin in Co Clare. Inis Mór is the largest island and features Dún Aonghus, a dramatic rocky clifftop fort, a rectangular natural pool, Pól na bPeist (the Wormhole), used in cliff diving competitions, a medieval church and Clochán na Carraige, an ancient stone house and much more. Hire a bike, walk or take a pony and trap to see the island.
- Inis Mean (Middle Island) features unspoilt wildlife, the cottage of the playwright JM Synge, who wrote the Playboy of the Western World, and a church with a Harry Clarke stained glass window. It’s an ideal place to enjoy a peaceful break from the hustle and bustle of daily life.
- Cliffs of Moher Cruise – 1 hour €16
- Half Day Trip to Inis Oirr – €21 pp. Add Cliffs of Moher en route (28+ €7). (Depart 10am or 1.45pm)
- Daytrip to Inis Mor or Inis Mean €26 pp. Add Cliffs of Moher en route ( €33. +€7) Depart 10am
- Bike Hire or overnight accommodation on Inis Mór – Enquiry form
- Corporate Boat Hire – enquiry form.
Expert Skipper Guide, Lifejackets. Option to hire bikes and accommodation on the island
Walking shoes, layers of clothing, rainwear, suncream and snacks. A Camera for great photos, swimwear and a towel for a swim in the Atlantic ocean.
Things to do in the area
- Option to hire bike on Inis Mór
- Walking Tour on Burren
- Go Surfing or Kayak or Sup on a river in the Burren, Co Clare.
- Guide tour of a Burren Goat farm where cheese is made.
- Take a swim in the Atlantic Waves on one of the Aran Islands.
- Have a meal and drink in one of the island pubs
- Drive along the coast to Cliffs of Moher and along Galway Bay.
Good To Know
- The islanders all speak Irish as their first language and politely speak English to visitors.
- This is a 50 year old family business with a variety of boat trips which need to be pre-booked, especially in high season.
Car parking beside the ferry terminal with numbered spaces. An information box at the entrance with allocation of for each parking space with a cost of €5 for a day or overnight parking. Arrive 20-30 minutes early for boat trip as the pay machine can be busy close to departure times. There are toilets on the dock and also at the boat office.
- These specially designed boats take 15 minutes to get to Inis Oirr and 40 minutes to get to Inis Mór. They have seating inside and on deck, toilets and are large stable boats.
- These boats can take people with buggy or in a wheelchair but please advise at time of booking as a ramp needs to be pre-booked.
- There are no taxis on the Aran Island in Galway Bay. Walk, bike or a few pony and traps. Best to pre-book the bikes.
The most visited Aran Island is Inis Mór with easy access by ferry. Inis Oirr is closest to Doolin at 15 minutes ferry trip and the least visited of the island is Inis Méan. You have to choose between Inis Mór and Inis Méan for a day trip.
- There are plenty of places to eat on the islands, but bring snacks and drinks.
- If you wish to stay overnight on one of the Aran Island send an enquiry form.
If you bring luggage to stay overnight cover them in plastic or take into the cabin, as they can get wet. Those staying overnight can get later boats to Inis Oirr but there is only 1 boat a day to Inis Mór and Inis Méan, please advise on the enquiry form if you wish to stay overnight- no extra boat charges.
- Each of the trips can have a Cliffs of Moher Boat tour added to the end of the trip, it is cheeper to book as part of the trip.
- If the weather is stormy, fog or too windy this trip will be cancelled, due to safety considerations and a refund given.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked.
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.