Fitness Level 2
Boat – Max 50 people
6 – 8 Hours
Cape Clear Island (Oilean Cléire) is the largest of Carbery’s Hundred Isles on the Wild Atlantic Way. It is the closest island to the Fastnet Rock Lighthouse and is a great place to spend a relaxing day or longer. The island is 5.6km long and 1km wide with a permanent population of 130 people.
Trip to the Island- Take a return trip to Cape Clear Island (Oilean Cleire), the largest of Carbery’s Hundred Isles on the Wild Atlantic Way in Co Cork. It’s a great place to spend a relaxing day or longer and you can easily walk the island on a day trip. It’s a Gaeltacht (Irish speaking) island with a rich archeological heritage including standing stones, a marriage rock, Dun an Air Castle, a lighthouse and a 12th century church. There are lovely walking trails on the island across the hills covered in heather and wild flowers, a goat farm, a heritage centre. You can take the 45 minuet trip to the island return trip from the mainland or stay overnight on Cape Clear, contact us for details of accommodation on the island. Time of boat varies depending on the month with more sailings during the summer months. We suggest a full day on the island. You can also take a bike to the island for a small extra charge.
Boat Trip Return to Cape Clear return Adult €22.00
Teenagers Return ticket to Cape Clear €14.00
Family (2+2) Return Trip to Cape Clear. €50.00
Cape Clear with Bike – enquiry form
Boat to Cape Clear and can organise activity on the Island
Walking shoes, rainwear, sunscreen in summer, swimming togs and towel, camera
Things to do in the area
In Baltimore visit the renovated Castle. Take a Sea Safari from the harbour (L) or take a kayaking trip (L) or night kayak trip(L). Drive to Lough Hyne and walk the woods overlooking the nature reserve. Take a snorkelling trip in Lough Hyne (L).
Take a day trip drive to Mizen Head and Sheep’s Head. In Skibbereen visit the Heritage Centre which tells the story of the Potato Famine of the 1840s.
Good To Know
- Boat trip times to Cape Clear Island from Baltimore is weather dependent and occasionally cancelled due to weather.
- This is a large comfortable boat with toilet facilities. The Timetable above is the summer schedule (May to September). Send us an inquiry form if you wish to travel to the island at other times.
- Parking in Baltimore is on the pier car-park. Baltimore is 1hr 40 minutes drive from Cork, 50 minutes drive from Clonakilty and 15 minutes drive from Skibbereen.
- West Cork is the best area in Ireland to see dolphins, basking sharks and whales. Your skipper will make detours to give you the best possible views.
- Boat from Schull during the summer season, but a shorter time on the island.
- We can organise for a bike to be taken to the island if you want an overnight stay. Bikes must be pre-booked on the boat and there is a small charge for them. You could take the boat from Baltimore to Cape Clear and on the return journey take the boat to Schull on the mainland.
- Weather on Cape Clear Island and further out to sea at Fastnet Rock Lighthouse is very changeable from the mainland and trips may be cancelled due to fog, strong swell or bad weather. Bookings are provisional and money is not taken from your account until the sailing is confirmed.
- Cancellation Policy – this tour can be booked and refunded up to 5 days before the tour starts. Money will be refunded to paying card, apart from a €5 booking deposit per person booked
At Activity Days, our priority is your safety, well being and enjoyment of this activity. Please note the following;
- It is your responsibility to bring adequate clothing, footwear and equipment where specified. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity if you fail to do so and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- It is your responsibility to ensure that you meet the fitness criteria prescribed for this activity. Please note that the guide may refuse participation in the activity on this basis and your activity fee will not be refunded.
- Please note that we and our guides reserve the right to refuse participation in the activity if you are intoxicated, if refuse to comply with the instructions of the guide, if there is a risk to your safety or the safety of others for any reason, or are deemed unfit or unable to participate (in the reasonable opinion of Activity Days or the Guide). In this event, your fee will not be refunded.
Please refer to our terms and conditions of sale for more information.