Transport in Irelandjerry
We can organise the following transport in Ireland Car Hire, Driver Guide/Chauffeur, Mini-Bus or Bus driver. Each of these modes of transport has some questions associated
Activity Days can include the cost of car hire as part of a package for you. We recommend manual transmission cars, as they are best for Irish roads. Automatic cars are available on request. Car hire is assumed to be from Cork airport, but hire from elsewhere can be arranged on request at the time of booking. You are responsible for the car insurance and excess and you must have your driver& insurance, drivers licence with you. Please sign all relevant forms when picking up the car. For further information look at the Driving in Ireland Blog.
What Type of Car Hire
Type of Car
- We recommend manual transmission cars, as they are best for Irish roads. Automatic cars are available on request.
- Car hire is assumed to be from Cork airport, but hire from elsewhere can be arranged on request at the time of booking. The Car can be dropped off at another airport for a one-way fee. We will charge per day and to the hour with a 25 minutes grace period on return.
- The car hire you can receive depends on the age of the driver for drivers under 25. For customers aged between 75 – 79 years can rent with specific conditions:-
- Must drive regularly & hold a current motor insurance policy.
- Provide a letter from their doctor to state that they have been in good health and have been for at least 12 months.
- Provide a letter from their insurers to state that they have not been involved in any incidents in the last 5 years. in your possession on car pick
- Driving Licence - You must hold a valid for at least 2 years or more at the time of rental and have it in your possession on car pick. Carry with you at all times when driving in Ireland. Provisional or Learner drivers or seriously endorsed licence holders are not eligible to rent a vehicle e.g drink driving disqualification
- You are responsible for the car insurance and excess The following insurances are included in the Activity Days – Standard Inclusive Programme:- Compulsory Motor Insurance, Collision Damage Waiver ( CDW ), Theft Protection ( TP ), Compulsory Motor Insurance (by Irish Law, the car hire company must provide Insurance for any damage to any other vehicle / Property or Injury to another person, including death ).
Standard Incl. Package
- On the “ Standard Inclusive “ programme the excess of €1,600 to €3,000 based on the type of car hired and will be explained when collecting the hire car
Activity Days would like to advise customers that they can choose any of the following from the car hire company when collecting the car and the customer can choose which optional extra insurance to purchase when picking up the car.
- Compulsory Motor (Insurance for damage or repairs to the hire car Collision Damage Waiver (Collision Damage Waiver ( CDW ) means the driver is insured in relation to -Damage to the rental vehicle subject to the damage excess to be paid by the Renter.
- Theft Protection - Theft Protection ( TP ) is included in the Standard Inclusive Programme with Insurance for the rental vehicle in the event it is stolen, subject to the damage excess to be paid by the car renter.
- An additional driver can be added to the car hire when picking up the car, once the person has their drivers license.
Do you Provide Satnav or Child Seats? -
These are not provided as part of a rental agreement but can be boded in advance for an extra fee. Child car seats can be booked in advance as well as booster seats for older children ( up to 12 years of age, depending on height)
Do I have to stick to a set Driving Route?
- Not at all. We recommend the most scenic, interesting and exciting driving routes, linking the accommodation booked with activities with a realistic driving time included! We always give a GPS meeting point for meeting guides and recommend arriving 15 minutes or more before the departure time. This allows for safety briefing, putting on equipment provided or getting to know your guide.
Credit card deposit
- A Credit card will be needed by the car hire company to the car hire company is mandatory to cover toll Fees, Speed camera’s, parking offences etc. The renter is fully responsible for all fines and consequences of the violation of traffic and parking fines inquire during the rental.
The Car hire arrangement is between the customer and hire company. We recommend that customers familiarise white the car before driving and noting any damage or defect to the car on the form provided by the rental company and bringing it to the attention of the staff of the car company.
Driver Guide/ Chauffeur
The Driver guide is an Ireland expert and can drive you to the activities, places of interest and other attractions in Ireland. They are at your disposal. However, there is a regulation on how much a person can drive in a day, break requirements and they do not work late nights as they need rest. They expect to work an 8 hour day. Any time spent transporting your party around after that is to be negotiated directly with the Driver Guide. They are your transport provider, but they are not expected to collect from restaurants, nightclubs or theatre’s after their working day is complete.
Min-Bus or Bus Hire
The transport is hired for your group for a specific time and place and for a maximum number of people. If the number of people at the party increases or decreases please advise Activity Days at once. The cost of transport is divided evenly between those travelling and if numbers in the group fall from that originally booked the overall price may have to increase to reflect this. We work with professional companies with a quality transport. The earlier you book, the better chance you have of getting the best bus available.
Drivers have to have specific rest periods and this is built into the trips. If a driver is delayed due to clients later return there may be an extra charge levied by the transport provider.