The Mizen Peninsula on the Wild Atlantic Way is Ireland’s most south westerly and an ideal base for a relaxing break. Go birdwatching with an expert to see the local birdlife up close. The picturesque village of Schull is a relaxing base from which to take a boat trip. You can sail around the harbour and out around the islands in Roaringwater Bay or even as far as the dramatic Fastnet Lighthouse, famed for the annual yacht race. A horse trekking outing offers another opportunity to experience the beauty of the area at a relaxed pace. You may also like to take an art course with a local artist so you can create your own record of the wild beauty of the area.
Guided Activities you can book:
Coastal Photowalk on Mizen Head – a Half Day is by arrangement taking place 6-9pm. €49
Surf the Atlantic Waves – Head to one of the most westerly beaches for surfing lessons on the Atlantic waves. Take a 2-hour class in the afternoon to learn the skill of surfing. Board, wetsuit and instruction are provided. Enjoy a open quiet beach as the waves crash in from the atlantic. If you would like other activities in this area we have lots to recommend. July/August only.
- Go Beachcombing at low tide, collect shells or write your name in the sand
- The local beaches are Barleycove Beach near Mizen Head, Crookhaven and Toormore is the best child friendly beach in the area.
Drive around the Mizen Head (Tomáin timpeall Carn uí Néid)
- Capture the magic of the landscape on a relaxed drive around the headland
- View the work of local artists in a Gallery in Schull
Mizen Centre (Ionad Carn uí Néid)
- Visit the Mizen centre and famous lighthouse
- In Schull (028 28552)
Schull Farmers’ Market (Margadh Feirmeoirí an ceanntar)
- Sunday Mornings from 10 am -1pm. Taste and buy the locally produced artisan foods.
Whyte’s Bookshop (Siopa Leabhair)
- In Schull is one of the Best Bookshops in Ireland.
If you would like a Free Factsheet on what to do in the Schull/Mizen Head area just add your email address below and select ‘Best of Schull/Mizen Head’