East Cork has many beaches at the eastern side of the coast:
Fota Wildlife Park (021 4812678) – Take the children to Fota Wildlife Park where giraffes, zebras and many other animals and birds roam the park. Watch the cheetah chase its food along the zipline. Fota has its own iPhone app to help enjoyment of your visit.
Heritage Town (Siúlóid Oidhreachta Eochail)
- Youghal Town has a Heritage map which can be downloaded here (www.youghal.ie) which takes about 1.5 hours to walk around the town ourself. Youghal also has a Town Crier in full dress who will guide you around the town.
- The Story of Emigration – The Queenstown Story at the old Railway Station, Cobh (pronounced Cove) tells the story of emigration from the port of Queenstown, as Cobh was called.
Farmers Market (Margaí Feirmeoireachta)
- Midleton has the famous and most varied farmers market on Saturday mornings, where people purchase food artisan foods directly from the farmers and producers. Many of the fruit, vegetables and meats are organic.
- Cobh has a Farmers Market on Friday morning.
- Fermoy on Saturday morning.
If you would like a Free Factsheet on what to do in the East Cork area just add your email address below and select ‘Best of East Cork’