The rich countryside of East Cork stretches from Cork Harbour to the town of Youghal at the mouth of the River Blackwater. Take a boat trip in Cobh Harbour, last port of call for the ill-fated Titanic, or go further out for a deep sea fishing charter trip. Take a walk including the medieval walls of the port of Youghal or try a cruise on the River Blackwater. You could also enjoy a fishing trip on the Blackwater, one of Ireland’s best fishing rivers.
Guided Activities you can book:
Take a boat trip in a rib from Cobh around Cork Harbour in your own boat with a Guide in a boat beside you, who brings the history of this famous port to life.One-hour trip includes Haulbowline and Spike Island. Boat trip with max 4 people departs hourly from 11an to 5pm daily.
Fitness Level 2. Price €33 (min 2).
Two-hour evening tour includes the islands of Haulbowline and Spike, Roches Point Lighthouse, Crosshaven. Max 4 per boat with fuel, lifejackets provided.
Fitness level 2. Price €55 (min 2).
For a family or group of friends pose for a fun Vintage Photograph. Priceumes for each person are provided for the shoot as well as a 10 x 8 mounted photograph of the occasion. Extra copies can be ordered from photographer. The price depends on the number of people in the Group.
Price from €38 for 2 people. Family of 4 €60. Group of 8 €120. Time 1 hour.
Take a walk around Cobh with an expert local guide to admire the stunning cathedral, the fine old Admiralty buildings and hear the story of the Titanic at its last port of call. Walks start 11am and 2pm daily, other times by appointment.
Fitness level 2. Price €19.
- Spend a day on the water in Kinsale, West Cork or one of the islands off the coast.
- Learn to River Raft on the Bandon River, make chocolate, do a cookery class or demonstration.
- Do a few activities in one day in West or East Cork – take a look at what we offer and we can put a package together.
Fota House and Arboretum
Take a Guided Tour of Fota House and see how a large house used to function 100 years ago. This house has been recently restored in the style of Downton Abbey.The house can be booked for functions or events, just contact us for information. Tour Price €14
Get a Guided tour of the Georgian House, Walled Garden and Arboretum. Pre-booking for these tours is essential. Fitness Level 1. €17
Bring a group of friends together for a group shot dressed in vintage clothes in the Cork area, have a glass of wine and snacks. Take home a 10 x 8 mounted group photograph of the event. Great fun for a birthday or hen party. Price €50 (min 5 in evening only).
East Cork has many beaches at the eastern side of the coast:
Fota Wildlife Park (021 4812678) – Take the children to Fota Wildlife Park where giraffes, zebras and many other animals and birds roam the park. Watch the cheetah chase its food along the zipline. Fota has its own iPhone app to help enjoyment of your visit.
Heritage Town (Siúlóid Oidhreachta Eochail)
- Youghal Town has a Heritage map which can be downloaded here (www.youghal.ie) which takes about 1.5 hours to walk around the town ourself. Youghal also has a Town Crier in full dress who will guide you around the town.
- The Story of Emigration – The Queenstown Story at the old Railway Station, Cobh (pronounced Cove) tells the story of emigration from the port of Queenstown, as Cobh was called.
Farmers Market (Margaí Feirmeoireachta)
- Midleton has the famous and most varied farmers market on Saturday mornings, where people purchase food artisan foods directly from the farmers and producers. Many of the fruit, vegetables and meats are organic.
- Cobh has a Farmers Market on Friday morning.
- Fermoy on Saturday morning.
If you would like a Free Factsheet on what to do in the East Cork area just add your email address below and select ‘Best of East Cork’